Monday, April 23, 2007

Here We Come

We’re leaving for the states in 4 days.

Wow! just 4 days. So much to do, it can’t be 4 days…. but it is.

But why am I surprised: it’s like this every time we go on a big trip. I should be used to it: I guess I am a little, but not all the way. I don’t think it’s possible to get used to it 100%.

I’m excited. Very excited. It’s going to be fun getting back to see friends and family.

I’ve really been praying lately that I’ll be able to communicate with others my experiences here in Africa. I can see how it might be a challenge because it can be so easy to say your doing one thing when you’re actually doing another. It’s so easy to put on a face that’s not yours; especially when you’re in a place that very few people have been to. As a result of their limited knowledge, they’ll believe almost anything you tell them, and our habit is to tell them what they want to hear. I want to be real. I want to tell people what I do here in Africa, and what I like to do.

Yeah, I have fun here. I get to ride motorcycles. I get to go to gorgeous places. I get to hang out with really cool friends. I get to play soccer.

And yeah, sometimes things are hard. Sometimes it’s awkward. But, honestly, not as much as many people think. You get used to it. I’ve gotten so used to it that it is more home than the states are.

It’s still going to be really good to get back the states.

I’m looking forward to:

surfing

playing guitar with my Uncle Michael and Trevor Borden (and hopefully buying another guitar)

hanging out with good friends

family reunion

fishing…..

3 comments:

Dawn said...

We can't wait to see you!

Dawn and Co.

MamaMonk said...

Hey Skyler!

Bryan, the kids and I are excited to see you again. It's been fun to read a few of your recent posts.

It's sounds like you will have lots of stories to share at the reunion.

Can't wait to introduce you to SOLOMON.

Love,
Kelley and Bryan and kids

Pam Markley said...

DUDE! How is it? How is the great US of A?

Arusha is quiet. EVERYONE, well, nearly everyone is gone! Hope all is well!