Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Friends are Friends



I'm trying to get better at going to play soccer in Unga Ltd. more often. I've realized lately how much I really enjoy going.

(Sometimes it's a hassel to go cuz if there's no one to take me there or make I have to leave at 3:30 and come back at 7:15 or so. I'm very thankful for public transportation, but it sure takes a long time.)...anyway...

It’s so fun getting to know each one of them, and as I do, I realize: we’re all people. We’re all on this level ground that all human beings are on. I have nothing over them, and they have nothing over me. We’re all people. We all have smiles, we all make jokes, we all love hanging out with each other, and we all yearn to form friendships with each other. They don’t mind an mzungu (white person) on their team, why should I mind making friends with them? They love getting to know me, why shouldn’t I open myself up to them? They are so joyous: every word I say to them is returned by a smile. I huge smile: a loving smile.

Though I never would have said it, or even thought it really, I came into the team with a sense of "I have to share God's love to these people in the way i act...I have to be a good example of God's love...ect." And I got so serious about it that I was defeating the perpose. I just go to play soccer and hang out. When I go, I'm the one who gets blessed the most. I am so blessed by their smiles, by their friendships. They are no different than my best friends that have the same color skin as me. Friends are friends.

...And I love the kids there. The soccer field is like a hang out place for kids of all ages: they come to play around and chase each other, to watch the older kids play soccer, or to play themselves. As I was putting on my cleats on day, a group of six year olds stood a couple feet away daring each other to touch my hair. One brave one, slowly came up behind me, stroked my hair, ran off and giggled with his friends. A couple more got up the courage and soon there were three kids stroking my hair. They kept saying "Ni teleza sana, eh?" (Is so slippery, isn't it?). I was laughing to myself. Kids are so fun.

The next time I came to practice, a mob of little kids ran up to me. The one kid who was the bravest in the "touch his hair" dare kept saying to the other kids "ni mzungu wangu, mzungu wangu" (he's my white-person), as he clung to my arm. They were all jumping on me. It was so awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your writing Skyler, you paint a picture with your words. I love this one on friends especially. It brings back memories for me. My hair is a lot like yours and when I was a young girl it was white, white. I remember my Ethiopian friends coming up and wanting to touch my hair. Once a kid came and pulled a strand out and ran away. My friends use to call me Jarti, which means old woman in Oromo. :) Keep on! Love, Aunt Jennifer