Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What A Morning!

What a morning!! You ever had one of those mornings, or days, where it seems that everything-EVERYTHING-goes wrong? Or maybe it’s not that things go wrong, it’s just that they don’t go with routine. We are people of routine, aren’t we? When we are off routine, we feel awkward. I’m sure you’ve had times like this: everyone has. I think they best way to handle them is just to laugh.


I woke up this morning at 7:20: already off routine. On school days, I rarely sleep in to seven: I try to get up around 6:30. I felt all groggy and sleepy. I got up and went down my stairs with my eyes barely open and my bed hair bouncing everywhere. Before I got to the bathroom, our worker said, “Oh good morning Skyler; can you get the soap?” “Ok,” I answered, not even thinking about what he said in my confusion. So I went into the bathroom, quickly matted down my hair, and grabbed the bar of soup. Before I got back to Edwardi, to give him his bar of soap, I stumbled into little Mikael, our next-door neighbor. He greeted me: “Hey Sky, I need a rag. Do you have a rag to clean up something? Oh yeah, did you know that I’m going to Nairobi this morning” “Uh… just hold on Mike” I said, trying to figure out what was going on. “Hey, Sky, come here I gotta show you something,” called Chase from his room.

“AAAHHHHH. What’s going on,” I thought. It seemed like everyone knew that Skyler was awake, and they all bombarded me with requests at the same time. Where they planning this, as I slept in?

Anyway, first things first. I took the bar of soap to Edwardi. What a dork I must have looked like. He said, “No, not that soap. I need the soap for washing the car” “Oh yeah, of course,” I answered, once again not having a clue what he meant. I went back to the bathroom to look under the sink, maybe if I saw the right soap, it would click in my mind (not a chance, that early in the morning).

“Sky! I need a rag. Look, I need to clean that up,” Mike pointed to a big spill of water. He had the empty cup in his hands. At least he was willing to clean it up himself. I just grabbed a towel and tossed it too him.

I finally got my contacts in. Good; now I can see! Maybe that’ll make things better.

Nope...

I went back to Edwardi to tell him I couldn’t find the soap he needed. He must have felt sorry for me: He said, “That’s okay, I’ll just wait until Grace gets here to ask her.” I saw the dog dish, and remembered it was my turn to feed our dog Tanzi. I grabbed the dish-not carrying to rinse it out-I was just too out of it. I passed my Mike, who was having a great time sliding on the towel as he was cleaning up the water spill. I opened the frig to take out Tanzi’s meat. Of course, something else had to go wrong: I spilled apple juice, and it went everywhere-in the frig, on the floor, on Tanzi’s meat. I cleaned it up and made Tanzi’s food. Chase came in and said, ”Oh, we don’t feed Tanzi that anymore. We use something else. I guess you didn’t know. It’ll be okay for this time. And…Um.. Edwardi needs you to turn off the car alarm.” I answered, “Ok, can you go get the keys to the car.”

It seemed like everything had to be down by me! I finally got out my first giggle. I was just figuring out how funny this whole morning was turning out to be. Laughing is such good medicine for mornings like this. Chase brought me the car keys. I took out Tanzi’s food and turned off the alarm for Edwardi.

Now that I look back at it, I just find it humorous. That’s what you have to do in times like that.

Laugh-just laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...
sounds crazy sky...
but i really like your writing? do you blog purely for fun or do you also get some sort of school credit?
cant wait to see you in the summer!

Skyler said...

just for fun. yeah... i just kinda write about stuff.

i never really liked writing, or never really realized i liked writing; but now i see how much fun i have developing thoughts and trying to form words around them.